[PCST] Open Day for Sci Comm, History of Science and Medical Humanities at Manchester

Jane Gregory jane.gregory at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Jan 16 16:56:38 CET 2014

Dear all

The Centre for the History of Science, Technology and Medicine (CHSTM) at the University of Manchester, UK, will be holding its annual Graduate Studies Open Day on Wednesday 12 February 2014.

Please come along to find out more about our taught Masters (MSc) or research (PhD and MPhil) programmes in the history of science, technology and medicine; science communication; and the medical humanities. Presentations will cover course structures and content, the application process, and career opportunities, including progression from taught study to PhD. Current and former graduate students will also be on hand to answer your questions.

Events will begin with a campus tour, including current facilities and historic sites on the University campus, aimed at applicants who are new to Manchester. Please register (see below) if you would like to attend. The tour starts at 1pm in the courtyard outside the Manchester Museum entrance on the pedestrianised Coupland Street, off Oxford Road on the main campus (see <http://www.museum.manchester.ac.uk/yourvisit/>).

The main Open Day presentations will be held from 2 till 4pm in Room 2.57 in the nearby Simon Building on Brunswick Street (see <http://www.chstm.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/travel/>).

There is no need to book your attendance in advance, but please let us know you will be attending so that we can estimate numbers.

To register attendance or for any enquiries about the Open Day, or about our taught Masters programme, please contact Dr James Sumner: james.sumner at manchester.ac.uk

For advance queries about PhD and MPhil research, please contact Dr Jeff Hughes: jeff.hughes at manchester.ac.uk

Many staff will also be available for individual meetings by prior appointment throughout the day: see our staff pages at <http://www.chstm.manchester.ac.uk/people/staff/> for contact details.

CHSTM is one of the world's leading centres for the histories of science, technology and medicine and their relations with wider society. We have a lively postgraduate community of Masters and PhD students, and an outstanding track record of progression from Masters to PhD, and from doctoral to postdoctoral study. We pride ourselves on the interdisciplinary nature of our programmes, and cater for students with a science background as well as those arriving with a humanities or social science undergraduate degree.

CHSTM offers two £5000 bursaries towards tuition costs for MSc students seeking to proceed to PhD study. This scheme is offered for full- or part-time students starting in September 2014; the deadline for applications is Monday 31 March 2014.

CHSTM also participates in various external funding schemes offered by organisations including the Wellcome Trust and UK Research Councils. Applicants wishing to apply for funding should be aware that several application deadlines are now very imminent, and should contact the appropriate Programme Director as soon as possible for guidance.

Further information about CHSTM's graduate programmes is available at our website:
http://www.chstm.manchester.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/
http://www.chstm.manchester.ac.uk/postgraduate/research/

We look forward to meeting you.

Jane Gregory