[PCST] Fwd: Science Communication in West Africa

START Fellow via Network network at lists.pcst.co
Wed May 6 19:49:15 CEST 2015

Dear colleagues,

Through a recent partnership between three organizations -- START
<http://start.org/>, Institute for Environment & Sanitation Studies (IESS
<http://iess.ug.edu.gh/>) at the University of Ghana, and The West African
Science Service Centre on Climate Change and Adapted Land Use (WASCAL
<https://icg4wascal.icg.kfa-juelich.de/>) -- we have developed a concept
note to build capacity in science communication through curriculum
development, training and dissemination events at the tertiary education
level in West Africa.  Please refer to the preliminary concept note
<http://iess.ug.edu.gh/index.php/publications/non-academic-publications?download=81:strengthening-science-communication-and-uptake-in-west-africa-concept-note>
for more information.

The main purpose of the project is to integrate science communication into
WASCAL's existing Graduate Studies Program (GSP) and its various research
initiatives within the Competence Center
<https://icg4wascal.icg.kfa-juelich.de/project-overview/competence-center>.
As a West African-based initiative with 10 graduate level programs
<https://icg4wascal.icg.kfa-juelich.de/project-overview/graduate-schools>
(6 PhD, 4 Masters) based in 10 different host universities across the
region, the GSP’s degrees all revolve around issues of climate change and
linked to, respectively, energy, education, economics, biodiversity,
agriculture, etc. (see last page of concept note). This also presents a
unique opportunity to begin building awareness for and experience in
science communication in the region, and on the continent.

At this point, we are gathering input and guidance from experts and those
with experience in SC program design, curriculum development, etc.,
particularly in contexts relevant to sub-Saharan Africa, as well as tips
for funding sources as we jump-start this important initiative.  It is our
hope that these contacts can serve as resources during the projected 5-year
period, and beyond.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or contributions you may
have.

Thank you for your support and all the best,
Dori

On behalf of the project team​
​START
IESS
WASCAL​

--

*Dori Nguyen*
START <http://start.org/> Regional Fellow
Institute for Environment & Sanitation Studies (IESS
<http://iess.ug.edu.gh/>)
University of Ghana, Legon