[PCST] London PUS Seminar - 27th May - Beautiful Science: Cover Art of the Top Scientific Journals - Guo-yan Wang

Lock, Simon via Network network at lists.pcst.co
Fri May 15 12:33:04 CEST 2015

Dear all,

Our next seminar will be held on Wednesday 27th May. We are very pleased to welcome Guo-yan Wang (University of Science and Technology of China) who will be discussing her current research on representations of science in the cover art of scientific journals.

Please note that we are in a different room to our usual space. Same building, but a floor below.

All are welcome. If you'd like to join the email list then please contact Simon Lock.

We look forward to seeing you there.

Professor Martin Bauer, Dr Simon Lock, Dr Jane Gregory

Date, Time and Location:
Wednesday 27th May 2015
16.15-18:00

Venue: St Clement's, S221, LSE
http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/mapsAndDirections/findingYourWayAroundLSE.htm

Speaker: Guo-yan Wang, Research Associate (Department of Science and Technology Communication and Policy, University of Science and Technology of China, USTC)

Title: Beautiful Science: Cover Art of the Top Scientific Journals

Abstract: The impacts of cover-story articles are much higher than the other articles in scientific journals. Top journals such as Nature, Science and Cell have developed an artistic style for the science on their covers, which show the creativity and beauty of science. Further to a quantitative analysis and case study of covers, the speaker will show some representative artwork, including some produced by herself.  The visual expression of cutting-edge scientific achievements will be discussed from perspectives of scientific visualization and science communication.

About the speaker: Guo-yan Wang (English name: Ruby) has a Ph.D. in Philosophy of Science. She is a Research Associate in the Department of Science and Technology Communication and Policy, University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), and a Visiting Scholar in the Centre for the History of Science Technology & Medicine (CHSTM), University of Manchester. She is author of two books: Science Image Communication, and Introduction to Digital Image Culture. She is also in charge of National Social Science Fund of China and the Science Communication Program of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.

About the Seminar Series
The London PUS seminar is an interdisciplinary intercollegiate seminar concerned with the broad range of topics that fall under the headings of public understanding of science, public engagement with science, science communication, and science-in-society.  It has been run jointly between LSE and UCL since 1993 and is open to all. Our participants predominantly come from a wide range of academic disciplines, and the science policy and science communication/public engagement communities. It is currently supported by the Public Understanding of Science journal published by SAGE and the Department of Science and Technology Studies, UCL.

Dr Simon J Lock
Lecturer in Science Communication and Governance

Department of Science and Technology Studies
UCL
Gower Street
London
WC1E 6BT

simon.lock at ucl.ac.uk<mailto:simon.lock at ucl.ac.uk>
020 7679 3763  (internal: x33763)
www.ucl.ac.uk/sts/staff/lock
twitter: @simonjlock

NEW PAPER:
"Nuclear energy sounded wonderful 40 years ago": UK citizens views on CCS
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301421513011312

NEW Special Issue of Public Understanding of Science - 'Why Should We Promote Public Engagement with Science?' Guest edited by myself, Jack Stilgoe and James Wilsdon
http://pus.sagepub.com/content/23/1/4.full.pdf+html

Have you heard about our two new MSc degrees? http://www.ucl.ac.uk/sts/prospective/msc/uclmastersdegrees