[PCST] Good examples of mathematics outreach

Carlyn S Buckler via Network network at lists.pcst.co
Wed May 20 18:31:26 CEST 2015

Hello Franka -

I love Eugenia Cheng.  She has an incredible ability to make mathematics not only understandable, but also to show the inherent beauty and pervasiveness of math in our everyday lives. There is a great interview with her on ScienceFriday, and a exert from her latest book,   <http://sciencefriday.com/blogs/05/07/2015/how-math-is-like-baking-you-just-need-a-recipe.html?series=33> <http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0465051715/sciencefriday/> How to Bake Pi: An Edible Exploration of the Mathematics of Mathematics<http://sciencefriday.com/blogs/05/07/2015/how-math-is-like-baking-you-just-need-a-recipe.html?series=33>,<http://sciencefriday.com/blogs/05/07/2015/how-math-is-like-baking-you-just-need-a-recipe.html?series=33>

Not sure that's exactly what you're looking for, but I've been using this with my Science Museum Studies students, and it has gone over very well.  Great fodder for developing programs on mathematics.

Cheers -
Carlyn

Carlyn S. Buckler, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Science Museum Studies
Cooperstown Graduate Program
State University of New York, Oneonta
Carlyn.Buckler at oneonta.edu<mailto:Carlyn.Buckler at oneonta.edu>
"Suspended judgment is the greatest triumph of intellectual discipline".  W.R. Brooks