[PCST] R: Re: Good examples of mathematics outreach

kiarabadia@libero.it via Network network at lists.pcst.co
Thu May 21 12:50:43 CEST 2015

i would also recommend  the italian http://www.matefitness.it/index.php/mathfitness-train-your-mind

----Messaggio originale----

Da: network at lists.pcst.co

Data: 21/05/2015 10.19

A: "Carlyn S Buckler"<csb36 at cornell.edu>

Cc: "PCST"<network at lists.pcst.co>

Ogg: Re: [PCST] Good examples of mathematics outreach

Hi Franka!
Are you familiar with Spanish Famelab finalist in 2013 Eduardo Sáez de Cabezón?
http://www.ted.com/talks/eduardo_saenz_de_cabezon_math_is_forever?share=1228d2d80c

I would higly recomend him and the Big Van Theory group, which he founded:
http://www.thebigvantheory.com/

Cheers,

Luca

Hello Franka -

I love Eugenia Cheng.  She has an incredible ability to make mathematics not only understandable, but also to show the inherent beauty and pervasiveness of math in our everyday lives. There is a great interview with her on ScienceFriday, and a exert from her
 latest book,   How
 to Bake Pi: An Edible Exploration of the Mathematics of Mathematics,

Not sure that’s
 exactly what you’re looking for, but I’ve
 been using this with my Science Museum Studies students, and it has gone over very well.  Great fodder for developing programs on mathematics.

Cheers -
Carlyn

Carlyn S. Buckler, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Science Museum Studies

Cooperstown
 Graduate Program

State University of New York, Oneonta
Carlyn.Buckler at oneonta.edu
"Suspended judgment is the greatest triumph of intellectual discipline”.  W.R. Brooks