[PCST] Good examples of mathematics outreach

mikami naoyuki via Network network at lists.pcst.co
Fri May 22 05:29:44 CEST 2015

Dear Franka,

You might have already heard something about the "Journalist in
Residence" program provided by the mathmatics department of Kyoto
University, Japan.

In the program, according to the program website, "journalists in a
broad sense stay at major math departments in Japan and talk to people
(professors, students, visitors, librarians), attend seminars and
conferences. Typically, they stay at one or two departments, for
one-two weeks for each. The program aims to enhance the relationships
between mathematicians and the general public."

For a brief English description of the program, refer to:
https://www.math.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~kfujiwara/jir/jir.en.html

Last year, the program was awarded an incentive prize for good
research and practices in the field of "science and society" (the
Kakiuchi Prize), which is organized by the Japanese Society for
Science and Technology Studies.

Best regards,
Naoyuki

=====