[PCST] Webinar "Citizen Science in a Global Perspective"

Simone Rödder simone.roedder at uni-hamburg.de
Mon Jun 27 11:31:37 CEST 2016

Dear All,

We cordially invite you to participate in a webinar on *“Citizen Science
in a Global Perspective”*. The event will take place on *Tuesday, July
19**^th **at 2.00-3.15pm* Berlin time (CEST = UTC +2). It was originally
planned as a contribution to the PCST conference in Istanbul but
unfortunately had to be cancelled. We look forward to now welcome many
of you to an online version of the session.

Please see the abstract below for more information.

Kind regards,

Claudia Goebel, Bruce Lewenstein and Simone Roedder

*Citizen Science in a Global Perspective *

Citizen Science has become an umbrella term for a variety of forms of
public participation in scientific research. This participation ranges
from data gathering to more collaborative and community-led forms.
Distinct national and cultural traditions shape how and in what fields
nonscientists get involved with scientific projects. While public
participation is not new, the recent trend to label many activities as
“Citizen Science” raises important questions:

  * Who brings what to Citizen Science projects?
  * What relationships develop between experts, communities and
    policymakers?
  * Where is the line between empowerment and exploitation?
  * Do Citizen Science practices challenge or support communication
    models such as the deficit model?

The webinar combines short introductory statements with a discussion
amongst participants. By presenting examples from across the globe, we
hope to advance a comparative and reflexive understanding of practices
of Citizen Science. Speakers and discussants include *Bruce Lewenstein*
(USA), *Yaela Golumbic & Ayelet Baram Tsabari* (Israel), *Claudia
Goebel* (Germany), *Lisa Pettibone* (Germany) and *Emma Weitkamp* (UK).
We will also video cast a trailer of *Geoff Haines-Stiles film “THE
CROWD & THE CLOUD*” (premiering 2017). The session will be facilitated
by *Simone Roedder* (Germany) and technically run by the Museum für
Naturkunde in Berlin.

We feel that a webinar - free of charge and open to all - is the right
format to address Citizen Science in a global perspective. To
participate you need to register beforehand using this link
http://societas.biodiv.naturkundemuseum-berlin.de/?q=node/83. We will
send you a confirmation email with the actual web link for participating
shortly before the event. The webinar will be realised through Adobe
Connect, you will not need to install software on your computer.