[PCST] What's the Role of PCST in Post-truth times?

Prof. A. Gerber, Science Communication (Rhine-Waal University / Germany) ag at hsrw.eu
Fri Feb 17 09:32:03 CET 2017

Dear Networkers

Allow me to point you to an article published in /Foreign Affairs/
today, putting the "*Loss of Faith in Expertise
<https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/united-states/2017-02-13/how-america-lost-faith-expertise>*"
in the context of what we know about the Ig-Nobel-awarded
*Dunning-Kruger Effect*, the negative correlation between competence and
confidence.

As much as we should be sceptical about the author's tendency to
postulate yet another deficit, this time possibly a 'deficit of
judgement capability', Tom Nichols clearly depicts how fundamentally the
recent developments question no less than the principles or worse the
'operabilty' (as we could call it in the case of a technology), of
representative democracy itself.
When keynoting in Istanbul, Dietram Scheufele illustrated such
self-deceptive shortcuts with *Motivated Reasoning *theory,
*Confirmation Bias*, and *Framing*, all quite straight-forward ways to
at least explain what drove us into 'post-truth', yet let's face the
fact that this also makes it our very obligation now as scholars and
practitioners in this field, to offer ways back out of it! My question
is, seriously, how is PCST going to do that? What do we have to say as a
community? Or have we lost the faith in our own expertise...?    ;-(

Another piece worth reading in this context may be "Sci-Comm: *What is
to be done?*
<https://literacyofthepresent.wordpress.com/2017/01/24/sci-comm-what-is-to-be-done/>"
by Dr. Peter Broks from my team here in Cleves.

Best wishes
Alex

--
Prof. Alexander Gerber