[PCST] (comment)Re: What's the Role of PCST in Post-truth times?

김학수 hskim at sogang.ac.kr
Sat Mar 4 03:29:30 CET 2017

A short commentary: The conditions of "we" as an aggregate and a team are theoretically so different. Unfortunately, the former is prevalent in reality (esp. politics) and in research, while the latter is not well explicated (thereby, not realized) as a hypothetical concept or (more desirably) a theoretical construct. In a word, social sciences fail to discern those different conditions. Realization of teamwork, that is, composing a "non-corporeal" team of steps, might never be understood and obtained by focus on corporeal individuals' (aggregate) perspective and concepts (competence, motivation, bias, faith, etc). Mutual understanding (sharing), comprehension (accuracy), and trust must be "products" of realization of teamwork (of course, with help of communication), and so, they could be enhanced only by realization of teamwork. Now, Alexander's question re PCST role, related to lost faith in (science's or scientists') expertise? Here is some implication for an answer (I put somewhere): "The danger of the culural divide between the public and scientists seems to exist in their not having a 'joint' problem-solving and issue-resolving capability, not in the wide, but articifial gap of scientific literacy between them." However, do PCST practices and research make more efforts to develop the former's (teamwork) capability or to bridge the latter's (literacy) gap? Hak-Soo Kim.​

김학수(金學銖), 커뮤니케이션학 박사.
​​DGIST·대구경북과학기술원 융복합대학 초빙석좌교수/ 서강대학교 명예교수/ 국제커뮤니케이션학회(ICA) 석학회원/ 한국과학기술한림원(KAST) 정회원.

Hak-Soo Kim, PhD (Communication).
Visiting Chair Professor, College of Transdisciplinary Studies,
DGIST (Daegu-Geongbuk Institute of Science & Technology), Daegu, South Korea;
Professor Emeritus, Sogang University, Seoul, South Korea;
Fellow, International Communication Association (ICA);
​Fellow, Korean Academy of Science & Technology (KAST).
E-mail: <A href="mailto:hskim at dgist.ac.kr;%20hskim at sogang.ac.kr">hskim at dgist.ac.kr; hskim at sogang.ac.kr